Additional tabs for users with read permission

Oct 31, 2012 at 1:10 PM

I have added a ribbon tab to all site pages using Fluent Ribbon API (Release 1.4 and 1.5) for providing a "Help"-Ribbon tab in all sites. This works very well but I have a problem for users with read permissions. When I activate the feature containing the additional page head, not only the developed Help-Ribbon-Tab appears. Additionally, in Publishing Sites the Browse, Page and Publish tabs are displayed (On Team Sites only the Browse tab). But users with read permissions have seen no Ribbon Tab before activating the feature and should only see the new Help-Tab after activating the feature. Also a javascript error is caused regarding to this behavior because the Pub-object is undefined.

So the question is, why are the Browse, Page and Publish tabs are displayed on Publishing Sites with the developed FluentRibbon tab for users with read permission? Is this a problem of FluentRibbon?  

Oct 31, 2012 at 11:15 PM
Edited Oct 31, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Thanks for your feedback!

It seems for readers the ribbon is hidden, yet all the standard tabs are still in place, and FluentRibbon just forces the ribbon to show up, thus making visible not only it's own tab, but also the standard tabs.

If you're using RibbonControl, I propose to leverage the DisplayTab property and return false for readers, so that ribbon remains hidden for them. In this case, however, your "Help" ribbon tab will not be shown for them.

Another option here is to hide those ribbon tabs manually, using OOTB SPRibbon class and it's TrimById method.